Tales of the Unexpected was a science fiction , fantasy , and horror comics published by DC Comics from 1956 to 1968 for 104 issues. It was later renamed The Unexpected ALTHOUGH the numbering continued and it ended at issue # 222 in 1982. The title Was revived as a limited series in 2006.
Intersection to the restrictions imposed by the Comics Code Authority, DC began a new science-fiction series in 1956.  The series featured artwork by Murphy Anderson , Gil Kane , and many others, with stories by John Broome , Gardner Fox , and others. It was an anthology comic for many years, a variety of science fiction stories. The series featured Space Ranger as issue # 40   and running through # 82 (April-May 1964).  Other features included the “Green Glob” (issues # 85-98, 100, 102, 103) and “Automan” (issues # 91, 94, 97).  The series’ last issue as Tales of the Unexpected Was # 104 (December 1967-January 1968).  As of issue # 105 (February-March 1968), the title was shortened to The Unexpected . 
2006 limited series
DC revived the title for an eight-issue miniseries in 2006, focusing on the Crispus Allen incarnation of the Specter , with a back-up series featuring Doctor Thirteen .
The backup feature starred a team made up of Thirteen and his daughter Traci , I … Vampire , Genius Jones , Captain Fear, Infectious Lass , Anthro , the Primate Patrol , and the Haunted Tank . It was written by Brian Azzarello and drawn by Cliff Chiang . 
- Showcase Presents : Tales of the Unexpected Collects Tales of the Unexpected # 1-20, 512 pages, August 2012,ISBN 1401235204
- The Jack Kirby Omnibus Volume 1 includes stories from Tales of the Unexpected # 13, 15-18, and 21-24, 304 pages, August 2011, ISBN 1401231071
- Crisis Aftermath: The Specter includes the Specter lead stories from Tales of the Unexpected vol. 2 # 1-3, 144 pages, May 2007, ISBN 1401213804
- Spectrum: Tales of the Unexpected Collects the Specter Leads Tales of the Unexpected Vol. 2 # 4-8, 128 pages, December 2007, ISBN 1401215068
- Doctor 13: Architecture and Mortality collects the Doctor 13 backup stories from Tales of the Unexpected flight. 2 # 1-8, 144 pages, September 2007, ISBN 1401215521
- Jump up^ Irvine, Alex ; Dolan, Hannah, ed. (2010). “1950s”. DC Comics Year By Year A Visual Chronicle . London, United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley . p. 80. ISBN 978-0-7566-6742-9 .
As part of a new breed of sci-fi from the Comics Code Authority, Tales of the Unexpected Initiated 104-issue run by ‘The Cartoon that Came to Life’ by writer Otto Binder and artist Bill Ely.
- Jump up^ Irvine, Alex “1950s” in Dolan, p. 80: “With issue # 40 (August 1959), the series became home to Rick Starr, Space Ranger who protected the solar system of the 22nd century.”
- Jump up^ Markstein, Don (2008). “Space Ranger” . Don Markstein’s Toonopedia. Archived from the original on October 18, 2012 . Retrieved October 18,2012 .
- ^ Jump up to: a b c Tales of the Unexpected at the Grand Comics Database
- Jump up^ The Unexpected at theGrand Comics Database
- Jump up^ Tales of the Unexpected flight. 2at theGrand Comics Database