Hellspawn are fictional supernatural warriors from Todd McFarlane’s comic book series, Spawn . The main character in the series, Spawn, is himself a Hellspawn. 
The Hellspawn are controlled by Malebolgia , the ruler of the eighth realm of hell , and are mainly used as an officer corps for hell’s army. They were created by Malebolgia and Mammon. Hellspawn are infused with dark energy matter, called Necroplasm , when they are created. This power is infinite while in Hell and finite when outside. 
Most Hellspawn were once human, and made a bargain with Malebolgia to return to Earth for love or revenge; He would agree to return to Earth if they promised to become an officer in Satan’s Hellspawn army. This deal usually backfires on the Hellspawn, and then Malebolgia would return to Earth several years (or decades) into the future. The Hellspawn is a symbiotic armor that protects the Host. Their time on Earth is also limited. Each time a Hellspawn uses his powers, it is best to close a second death, returning him to hell. 
The nature of Hellspawn in hell’s army is threefold. Either the Spawn will be a successful murderer and will use his energy to kill innocent and evil, providing you with more souls, or he will try to do good by killing bad people. However, this will only supply hell with the souls of the worst kind of murderers (Kincaid, Wynn, etc.). Alternatively, they will refuse to kill and be destroyed by heaven, in which case Hellspawn.
Eventually it is Revealed That at least the LAST KNOWN Hellspawn arent establishment of Malebolgia, goal Mammon try trying to enact a breeding program entre The Most successful bloodlines représentée par His Hellspawn. Al Simmons and Wanda, both related to the famous Hellspawn of modern times, are the apex of such a process.
- Al Simmons As a human, he worked as a murderer, until he had a change of heart. He was murdered by his partner, Chapel, and went straight to Hell. He made a deal with Malebolgia, who, unknown to Simmons, feels him five years into the future. Simmons discovers that his face still bears the wounds of his murder, which was able to give him something Simmons could not – a child. Malevolgia sends another Demon, Violator , to force Simmons, now called Spawn, to use up his power that will ultimately return him to Hell. 
- Sir John Of York Sir John was a knight from the mid-15th century, who fought during a civil war in the fictional country of Bahavia. He was released from the service of Louis II of Bahavia after he and three others mistakenly killed the Archbishop of Bahavia, Sir Thomas Of Bahavia (they mistook some angry words by the King as an order). He was killed on a battlefield in Freedoniaby the King’s bodyguards as he approached King Louis for forgiveness. For his past deeds of killing, John was sent to hell, where he, like others, made a deal with Satan. He was returned to Earth, several years in the future and clad in medieval looking symbiotic armor. Upon realizing what had happened, John traveled throughout Bahavia, doing good deeds in the hope he would be redeemed. He teamed up with Witchblade , taking down an evil king. He was eventually slain by the demon hunter Angela . He is also known for fighting The Clown . 
- Cogliostro To form Hellspawn, he found a way to remove his armor, and thus ended the pact between him and his master. The reason Cogliostro is still alive that is stuck between Heaven and Hell. Heaven does not want him because he was a servant of Hell. Hell does not want him because he betrayed them. At first, it seems that Cogliostro spends his time training any young Hellspawn who will listen to him, in the hope that they will turn the dark path. Later on, it is revealed that Cogliostro is actually Cain , the biblical figure who killed his own brother out of envy. By that deed, he became the first man to go to hell, and the first to become a Hellspawn. He helps young Hellspawn to fight their demon masters, in the hope that one day he can claim the Throne of Hell. 
- Nyx is a young Wiccan who “borrows” Spawn’s symbiote to rescue a friend from Hell. She first helps Spawn recover her symbiote after being betrayed by Cogliostro, and features prominently in recent comics Spawn’s sidekick and is hinted to be his lover. In issue 182, she is captured by Al Simmons’ detached symbiote and controlled by it. She is, however, not considered a true Hellspawn due to having a human body as opposed to a necroplasmic body. 
- Mandarin A Hellspawn that appeared in China during the final years of the Song dynasty . His human name is Chenglei, and he suffered from elephantiasis, which left him heavily disfigured. When his village of Mhisi could not pay tribute, Chenglei was given to the Governor instead. There he was used as an entertainment, tortured and humiliated. Though Chenglei’s condition may have limited physical harm to his body, it has been killed when it seems to be a part of the condition. Upon Chenglei’s death bed, Mammon, acting as an emissary from Malebogia, came to the fulfillment of his desires. Chenglei later on to Hellspawn, where he died in the palace of the Governor of the palace, who had seen his kindness in his life. Chenglei was last seen by the storyteller riding alone, away from the slaughter. There were men, however, who swear that they saw the Hellspawn leading an army, with a beautiful concubine by his side, into Hell. There, he is one of the circles of Hell with his concubine-Queen by his side.  
- Morana Morana is the child of Wanda Blake and Al Simmons and is the final product of Mammon’s manipulation, breeding into one offspring the best bloodlines for Hellspawn. Mammon considers her to be one who will sit by her side and rule the world.  When Al Simmons caused the miscarriage of their child, Wanda was brought by Al Simmons to the hospital. There under the guise of a doctor, Mammon stole the child. She was brought under the care of Vrykolakas , while Mammon raised her. She has appeared alongside Mammon as the cloaked figure several times during Armageddon and only upon issue.
- Lord Covenant A 12th Century knight killed in a holy crusade far from his homeland, who returns to Earth as a Hellspawn. As a plague of violence and violence against the English countryside, the Dark Knight must choose to be innocent of the forces of evil and corruption. He is killed by the Phlebiac Brothers, but saw a vision of his lost love and rejoined her in the afterlife.
- Gunslinger Spawn A Gunslinger’s history is revealed in the journal of Al Simmon’s great grandfather, Francis Charles Parker (would later be Henry Thomas Simmons). There it is revealed that Gunslinger Spawn’s human name is Jeremy Winston, a preacher known in the town of Bane as “Ol ‘Job”. Ed Kemper, a wealthy businessman in the town of Winston’s family. Winston was then framed for the crime and hanged without a trial. Before his death, however, Winston was visited by Mammon, who offered to give him the power to seek revenge on the people of Bane, those who had wronged him and his family, and who did not want to go back To be sure of the decision, Mammon waited until Ol ‘Job / Winston was in the face of death to see if he would change his mind. But Job was resolved in his decision and was resurrected to Hellspawn. Within 24 hours, he slaughtered every man, woman and child in the town of Bane except for Al Simmon’s great grandfather whom Mammon told Winston to spare and whom Job was thought to be innocent. After this Jeremy Winston descended into hell. Bastard and his wife in the town of Bane Except for Al Simmon’s great grandfather whom Mammon told Winston to spare and where Job was thought to be innocent. After this Jeremy Winston descended into hell. Bastard and his wife in the town of Bane Except for Al Simmon’s great grandfather whom Mammon told Winston to spare and where Job was thought to be innocent. After this Jeremy Winston descended into hell.   
- World War One Spawn He is a Hellspawn introduced in issue 179, titled “War Spawn”. His human name is captain Thomas Coram and was an English soldier in the First World War. He is also the great grandfather of Wanda Blake. Thomas Coram had a hidden relationship, which was considered forbidden at that time with Selma, an African. Thomas Coram himself married and had another family, Coram’s own family. Thomas Coram’s relationship with Michael, who would be Wanda Blake’s grandfather. Michael joined the First World War under Thomas Coram’s command against his parents’ wishes. Unable to stop Michael from joining the war, Thomas Coram promises Selma to protect Michael during the war. HOWEVER, in the battle of Somme that occurred in France, Michael is deadly wounded. Coram, desperate to save his life makes a deal with Mammon to surrender his life and soul in exchange for his son’s life. Mammon transfers Michael’s wounds to him. Hellspawn is a force in the world, and one of the most important events in the history of warfare. His only source of relief was the knowledge that he would lead to a full life. He was forced to lead an army of war and endlessly battle in hell, in preparation for when he would become a commander of hell’s legions in the war with heaven. His only source of relief was the knowledge that he would lead to a full life. He was forced to lead an army of war and endlessly battle in hell, in preparation for when he would become a commander of hell’s legions in the war with heaven. His only source of relief was the knowledge that he would lead to a full life. 
- Jim Downing He is a new Hellspawn after Al Simmons kills himself in Spawn Endgame issue 181. He wears the same suit as Simmons did in the initial comics. Unlike his predecessor, he has very little control over the symbiote’s abilities and does not always recollect what he does as Spawn. His magic counter is also unique in that of decreasing the use of necroplasm, it actually increases. Currently, it is unknown what this may entail.
- Claudius Darius He was a Hellspawn who became one of the greatest Hellspawns. In life he was a Roman soldier who had sexual intercourse. He was finally killed by the help of the archangel, Radkiel, and was sent to Hell. After seven hundred years, Claudius Darius became a Hellspawn of incredible power. He was so powerful that he managed to kill the archangel, Radkiel, with ease. He has become “friends” with Godfrey VI of Freedonia . After killing Sir John of York in the Battle of York of Freedonia, he was soon beheaded by Godfrey VI of Freedonia , because of his true origins.
There are other Hellspawn Such As Daniel Llanso from the Curse of the Spawn spinoff,  as well as Ken Kurosawa Mangler, Cheveyo, and Caleb from the Shadows of Spawn manga , though it is unknown if They Are share of the series hand continuity.
- ^ Jump up to: a b c d e f Wagner, Hank; Golden, Christopher ; Bissette, Stephen R. (28 October 2008). Prince of Stories: The Many Worlds of Neil Gaiman . St. Martin’s Press. pp. 239-252. ISBN 978-1-4299-6178-3 .
- ^ Jump up to: a b David Hine (w), Brian Haberlin (p), Brian Haberlin (i). “Todd McFarlane” Curse of the Spawn v15, 182 (2008), Image
- Jump up^ Hine, David. “Part I: Spawning Some New Terror” . Comics Bulletin :. Archived from the original on 2008-12-11.
- Jump up^ Spawn 165: Mandarin Spawn
- Jump up^ # Comic Book Resources-CBR News: A Hell of a Comic: David Hine Talks “Spawn”
- Jump up^ Broken Frontier: Inside look: Spawn 175
- Jump up^ Spawn 174-175: Gunslinger Spawn
- Jump up^ Spawn 179: Spawn War
- Jump up^ McElroy, Alan; Wood, Ashley (1999). Spawn: Blood and Salvation . Image Comics. p. 2. ISBN 978-1-58240-114-0 .