Gloomcookie is a gothic comic book series created and written by Serena Valentino ( Nightmares & Fairy Tales ) and co-created by Ted Naifeh , aussi Who illustrated the comic’s first six issues. The series functions both a social satire on real-life Gothic subculture and a supernatural fantasy.
Gloomcookie is irregularly published by Slave Labor Graphics . As of July 2008, 28 issues-have-been published, as well as a one-shot special, Gloomcookie: A Monster’s Christmas Special Color . Five volumes of reprints have been published, each of the first four issues of the series in trade paperback, and the last one of five issues of the series.
- Lex : The primary female protagonist, Lex is a novelty-shop employee and avid goth clubgoer. Lex eventually discovers that she and Damion are star-crossed lovers.
- Sebastian : A lonely boy who suspects that he is confusing his dreams with reality. In truth, Sebastian has the ability to manipulate reality at will, either deliberately or accidentally. However, his powers often create unpredictable and dangerous side-effects. Sebastian also has true sight, which allows him to see monsters for what they are and to have prophetic dreams .
- Chrys : Sebastian’s girlfriend. Chrys was originally an inanimate waxen sculpture, brought to life accidentally by Sebastian’s powers. Chrys was, for a time, possessed by the Monster, who made her bring home and eat them. She eventually coughed up the monster and went back to her normal self.
- Damion : Lex’s cursed lover, Damion is doomed to fall in love with incarnation after incarnation of Lex, and to watch her die. Damion was originally a gargoyle , brought to life by Isabella to keep her company. He has the ability to take on the role of a normal human being or a winged gargoyle.
- Isabella : The main villain of the series, Isabella is perceived as selfish, cold and manipulative . It is revealed that it in fact feels very lonely and miserable because it is a monster. Isabella used to be part of the Carnival Macabre . She is also responsible for the Lex and Damion’s curse. Like Damion, she can take the form of a human being, or that of a winged monster.
- The Monster : Sebastian’s fearsome-looking guardian lives beneath his bed. For some time, the Monster ate all the girls Sebastian brought home, until Chrys, in turn, ate him. The Monster used to be part of the Carnival Macabre.
- Max : Another staple at the club, Max shares an on-again, off-again relationship with Lex, to which he refuses to commit himself. Lex and Max drift apart as Lex pursues a relationship with Damion.
- Vermillion : A wealthy, spoiled, socially awkward young man with a holdous grip on reality. Vermillion enjoys reading his poetic poetry in goth clubs and is obsessed with a roleplaying game called ‘Nosferatu: The Charade’ (an obvious parody of Vampire: The Masquerade )
- Lyndi : A mutual friend of Chrys and Lex, with whom they often commiserate over coffee.
- Moonraven : Self-proclaimed “Queen of San Francisco”, who pines for Vermillion’s love and affection so much that she deceives him into believing she possesses ‘Nosferatu’ powers.
- Vincent : Sebastian’s father. Vincent is the ringleader of the Carnival Macabre, and looks strikingly like Vincent Price , which leads to Sebastian (who always wished Vincent Price was his father)
- Lucy : Lucy is Sebastian’s mother. She is leaving the Carnival with Sebastian shortly after her birth, causing Carnival’s partial dismantling.
- Jezebel and Gretchen : the conjoined twins Jezebel and Gretchen were members of the Carnaval Macabre until Isabella left with them. Isabella later returned to the Carnival.
- Artemus : Artemus is Isabella’s lover, he is a werewolf, he was a member of the Carnaval Macabre until Isabella left, on his return he helped Isabella break the curse.
- Sarah : Sarah was a mutual friend of Lex and Lyndi, she was also Sebastian’s ex-girlfriend, she was eaten by the monster, but Sebastian brought her to another dimension of what she was not eaten by the monster, in that dimension she was going out with Max.
Each year, Ted Naifeh , followed by John Gebbia , Breehn Burns , Harley Sparx and Vincent Batignole .
Recently Revealed It was one Serena Valentino ‘s LiveJournal page That She Intended to end the individual after release of the series, in favor of releasing a series of graphic novels full at an undisclosed time. Serena, and Gloomcookie ‘s current artist Vincent Batignole , have chosen to focus their efforts on a new comic project instead, titled Enchanted .